Sturtivant Hall - Dallas County, Selma, Alabama
Photograph © Selma Dallas County Historic Preservation Society, 2002
713 Mabry Street
Selma, Alabama 36701
The Sturtivant Hall Mansion was built in 1853 by a plantation owner. In 1864 the home was purchased by John Parkman, who was president of the First National Bank of Selma.
Mr. Parkman and his family occupied the home for two years and owned it for six years. Mr. Parkman was thrown in prison for illegal use of bank funds and he died in 1867.
In 1870, three years after John Parkman died, the mansion was sold to another family and the apparition of Mr. Parkman began appearing in the mansion, as well as, around the grounds.
In 1957 the mansion was sold again and turned into a museum.
The ghost of Mr. Parkman has been seen reclining against a side porch or on top of the mansion itself! The presence of Mr. Parkman has been felt in the parlor and the bedroom at the top of the stairs.
Several tour guides have reported hearing footsteps on the second floor that stopped at the top of the steps then continued down the hallway and into bedrooms. When these footsteps were investigated, there was no seen force behind them.
One day an unassuming pest exterminator went upstairs to finish his job. Shortly after, he came running down the steps and claimed that some unseen person had almost pushed him down.
Two more apparitions have been reported in the home and are believed to be the daughters of Mr. Parkman. The transparent figures of the young girls have been spotted looking out the windows of the second floor!
At night, the museum windows and shutters are checked to be sure they are all closed and locked. In the morning, all of the shutters are open. To unlock the shutters, you must first unlock and open the windows, however, the windows are still closed and locked tight each morning.
A door in back of the museum is said to open and close by itself quite frequently, setting off the security alarm each time!
In the building behind the museum, used as a kitchen for the mansion in the 1800’s, has had reports of footsteps, pictures on the walls being tilted on purpose and objects being moved.