Haunted Place: The Haunting of Colonial Williamsburg

Colonial Williamsburg – Williamsburg, Virginia

Photograph ©CountryInns.Com

Middle Plantation, located between the James and New York rivers, was founded as the new capital of the Virginia Colony in 1699, after the Capital Building in Jamestown burned in 1698. Middle Plantation was then renamed “Williamsburg” in honor of King William III.

The College of William and Mary, located in Williamsburg, is the second oldest establishment in America for higher learning. This institution was utilized by such great men as: John Marshall, Thomas Jefferson, John Tyler, and James Monroe. Also, our first president, George Washington, received his surveyor’s license from this very same school! This College was a temporary host to the Virginia colony’s government while a new capital was being constructed nearby. In 1780, the city of Richmond became the “new” capital of Virginia, as it is today.

Williamsburg is also famous for:

·Establishing the very first mental hospital in this country.
·George Washington’s assembly of the Continental Army in 1781 before his raid on Yorktown (a military move that won America’s independence).
·It was the site of the first attempted canal in America.
·And, it was used as a barracks and hospital by the Confederate Army, and then later by the Union Army, during the American Civil War.

Today, Williamsburg is nationally known as one of America’s favorite historical hotspots. What many don’t know is that, Colonial Williamsburg is haunted.


College of William and Mary

Photograph ©RevolutionaryDay.Com

At the College of William and Mary, sightings of a female apparition have been reported numerous times over the years. This departed spirit is called, Lucinda, who died in an automobile accident while on her way to star in a play called, “Our Town,” which was to premier on campus.

The apparition of a Revolutionary War soldier also makes an occasional appearance in and around the building. This former patriot died of gunshot wounds on the third floor.

Also haunting this building is the apparition of a French soldier. This same spirit was seen and first reported by the college’s first president, James Blair in 1969 after Mr. Blair awoke in the middle of the night to find the specter standing at the foot of his bed!


Ludwell-Paradise House

Photograph © Jim Donten

The apparition of the eccentric and mentally disturbed, Lucy Ludwell, still visits her former family home. This lady was dubbed “Crazy Lucy” due to her peculiar behavior and her obsession with bathing many times a day. Lucy took over the house in 1805, after the death of her grandfather. Today she must still believe that she posses the home and the sounds of her bathing have been heard by many in the empty second floor bathroom.


Peyton Randolph House

Photograph ©Russ Picket

The Peyton Randolph house is believed to be the most haunted in Williamsburg. Visitors to the historic town make daily reports of specters peering out of windows at them, strange knocking sounds, footsteps, moaning, sounds of glass breaking and disembodied children laughing.


Wythe House

Photograph ©TwoRiversCapitalManagement.Com

Disembodied footsteps have been reported here, as well as, furniture being moved, cold spots, people being shoved by unseen hands, tapping sounds and strange clicking noises.

The apparition of a woman in a satin gown has been seen coming out of one of the bedroom closets, as well as, sitting at a dressing table combing her hair.



Some of the other locations in Colonial Williamsburg that are reported to be haunted are:

·Gaol (The old jail)
·Hangman’s Road
·The Nicholson House
·Well’s Corner


Whether you visit for the history or for the ghosts, Colonial Williamsburg is a beautiful town and a landmark in our country’s history! No wonder the spirits still linger there!


Address:
Visitors Center
101A Visitor Center Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23185
(800) 447-8679
Website

RELATED LINKS:
Colonial Williamsburg Ghost Pictures